Friday 21 May 2010

Speeches and awards, what a week it's been!


What an absolutely fantastic week it's been this week. Here's just a taste of some of what I've been up to:

Monday

To start off the week, I was invited to address 300 Business Link, UKTI and Train to Gain employees at EMB Ltd's staff conference at the East Midlands Conference Centre. David Polkey and the fabulous PR and Communication Team at EMB Ltd wanted to use me as their Case Study story, somebody who has set up their own business and has an interesting story to tell! Well, with help from David who put together my powerpoint presentation, I told the conference about how my 'Why Not?' philosophy had taken me from inputting electricity meter readings, to Zimbabwe then onto Downing Street. Going from my childhood, I explained that how by setting goals, focussing on my dreams it had enabled me to travel around the world, do charity work, be on TV's Deal or No Deal, win money and invent a successful product, Count On It labels, which now retail nationally and internationally.

After my presentation I had some great feedback, people said that they really enjoyed my presentation and that it was inspiring to see that someone who had experienced setbacks along the way, still maintained a positive focus on their dreams and aspirations and was doing what they loved.

Since doing my speech, I have been asked to do another presentation which is fantastic. Motivational talking and presenting, is definitely an area where I feel I can make a difference - watch this space!

Tuesday

Funnily enough, my second appointment of the week was again at the East Midlands Conference Centre. This time I was there as I had been shortlisted for the Extraordinary Women Awards 2010, in the Extraordinary Entrepreneur category. What a fabulous day this was, organised by Vicki Espin and her 'extraordinary' team, the day was a fun-filled, enthusiastic and inspirational event. Attended by inspirational women from around the UK, the event aims to recognise the achievements of women who have not been recognised before. Women who are living extraordinary lives, having extraordinary achievements. After listening to fantastic presentations by Sue Stockdale, Lisa Warner, Trish Davidson and Alicia Kite, the time had come to announce the winners, they were:-

Nikki Sharpe who won Extraordinary Personal Contribution 2010
Patricia Eufron Lunn who won Extraordinary Personal Endeavour 2010
Kim Cottee who won Extraordinary Young Woman 2010
Alison Thompson who won Extraordinary Organisational Success 2010

and me, Lyndsey Young, who won Extraordinary Entrepreneur 2010!

I was absolutely flabbergasted as I was shortlisted in the same category as Alicia Kite and Gillian Brown two fantastic ladies who are achieving amazing things. But there it was, I was announced the winner.

What a wonderful day it had been, I couldn't have imagined that just by doing what I absolutely love, my passion, I would have received an award, but I am really grateful and proud. To anyone out there who has a dream go for it, for those who know someone who is doing something extraordinary, nominate them - I cannot recommend it highly enough. Nominations for 2011 are now open and all the details are here: http://www.extraordinarywomenuk.com/

Good luck!

Lyndsey

p.s. Wednesday was a great day too, radio and press interviews and photos, I'll update you soon...

No comments: